Sunday, March 29, 2009

Up to my ears in flowers!


I am making wedding invitations for an old friend. I haven't done this in awhile...so I have kinda forgotten how time consuming a little weekend project like this actually is! I am, by no means, complaining...I enjoy busy work! That is why I have agreed to punch out 450 of these little purple flowers and then glue a little shiny-bling-bling onto each one! No- I am not crazy!

Speaking of crazy...I was asked that the other night by a patient in the ER. For those of you who don't know, I am a volunteer in the emergency department of one of our local hospitals. I go to the ER every Thursday night, mind my own business and quietly do the work asked of me, and then some. If a patient wants to talk I will most definitely lend a listening ear...I have learned a lot of people just like to talk and know that someone is listening! So...this past Thursday was no exception! While stocking one of the last rooms before I was done for the night, the patient said
to me, "What the hell is wrong with you? Are you crazy or something?". So I politely respond, "Excuse me?". A very bitter man he was, continued on..."What? You ain't got anything better to do? You must be really bored. " I told the man, that I was going back to school to pursue a medical career, and volunteering is a great way to get a feel for the environment, mainly the ER environment because I either want to work in surgery or emergency. I went on to tell him that, yes, indeed, I do happen to a life and I am working hard to create an even better one, not just
for me, but for my family. His response was..."What do you know, you are just a volunteer!"
I said, "well, sir...I do already have a bachelor's degree and working on another
one, but more importantly...I don't think it hurts anyone to devote a little of your time and give something back. " I also told him when my children are older they will volunteer their time for something they believe in. At this point, I told him I had to move on and it was nice talking to him! He had only one tooth by the way!

Volunteering in the hospital has been one of the best things I have done in a long time! I love every minute I spend in the hospital. Not only does it solidify the fact that I am moving in the right direction, but it makes me feel good. I swear...if you are in need of a little pick me up, something to put a little bounce back in your step, do yourself a favor...volunteer somewhere. The hospital, homeless shelter, go read books to children in under-privileged schools.
Follow your heart!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this. How funny!
Thanks for sharing this info. I wish more people knew how giving back is a gift to others and yourself.
Love ya!

Unknown said...

Hey Kenz--Love this post! You probably helped to open that man's heart a little bit. And loooove your blue/purple flowered wedding invites, so pretty! I think I need to do something creative or fun very soon. Thanks again for all of the clothes--Avery looks so cute in them, which is funny considering how the girls' coloring are so opposite! Let me know when you're up to coming in for the aquarium!